- Assistant Professor of Education
- Dr. Akura has taught at the Maharishi University of Management for five years
After graduating from Kenyatta University (Nairobi, Kenya) with a bachelor’s degree in education (botany and zoology), Dr. Akura began his career as a high school teacher. He taught biology and geography in various schools, including Pangani Girls, one of the top national schools in Kenya. He subsequently moved to the USA to pursue graduate studies.
At the University of Missouri – St. Louis (UMSL), Dr. Akura studied for the Master’s degree in education in curriculum and instruction and Doctorate in teaching and learning, together with the Graduate Certificate in Tropical Biology and Conservation at the Whitney R. Harris World Ecology Center. At UMSL, he helped to design curriculum and facilitate instruction at the Center for Human Origin and Cultural Diversity.
“I am passionate about teaching and learning. I am thrilled when I work with teachers to find better ways of reaching all students, irrespective of their learning styles and backgrounds. At MUM, I have the opportunity to prepare teachers with skills that will enable them to excel in inclusive and diverse settings in schools across the country and overseas.”
- BEd (Science), Kenyatta University, Nairobi, Kenya
- MA Science of Creative Intelligence, Maharishi University of Management, Fairfield, Iowa
- MEd Secondary Education (Science), University of Missouri – St. Louis
- MA Theology, Aquinas Institute of Theology, St. Louis, Missouri
- EdD Learning-Instructional, University of Missouri – St. Louis